Occupational safety at uvex
The uvex safety concept from head to toe also applies in many areas of our own plants. This is why the uvex group operates an occupational safety management system based on OHRIS (Occupational Health and Risk Management System)/LV21, while fulfilling ILO-OSH 2001.
As part of our strategy for occupational health and safety we make sure, as a matter of priority, that adverse effects on the health and safety of employees and third parties are minimised and that occupational health and safety is continually improved so that it may achieve the best achievable level.
Occupational health, health and safety at work, the prevention of accidents and illness, and the safety of plant facilities are explicit company goals. We aim for the strict avoidance of workplace accidents (no accidents, no downtime caused by accidents) and the avoidance of accidents on the way to and from work and when travelling on business (as defined by the institutions for statutory accident insurance and prevention) at all production sites and sales locations.
uvex and the EU chemicals regulation REACH
The chemicals regulation REACH (Registration, Evaluation, Authorisation of Chemicals) has regulated chemicals legislation in the EU since 1 June 2007. uvex naturally complies fully with the obligations that stem from the objectives of REACH and its implementation. Protecting human health and the environment is our objective. More information and guidance on REACH:
Protecting human health and the environment is our objective. As a manufacturer and importer, uvex is obliged to assess risk. When registering chemical substances, details have to be given regarding hazard potential, use and risk management measures. The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) assesses the substance data submitted. The objective is the use of chemicals with the lowest possible risk for people and the environment.
The measures in place at uvex to implement REACH include:
- Close contact and exchange of information about REACH with our suppliers and manufacturers
- Evaluation of the effects of REACH by recording all the substances processed in our products or evaluating this data in terms of future procurement risks and a possible registration becoming necessary
- Strict avoidance of substances classified as carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic (CMR) – the same applies to substances classified as persistent, bioaccumulative or toxic (PBT)
- Focus on polymer-based raw materials, which as defined by the Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health do not come under the REACH regulations
- No registration obligation for uvex products since they do not release substances within the meaning of the REACH regulation
The European Chemicals Agency (ECHA) updates the SVHC list (substances of very high concern) twice a year with further substances. This SVHC substances meet the criteria to be classified as:
- CMR substances (carcinogenic, mutagenic or reprotoxic)
- PBT substances (persistent, bioaccumulative and toxic)
- vPvB substances (very persistent and very bioaccumulative)
- or as substances with similarly severe effects – such as endocrine disruptors, i.e. particularly unwanted effects on people and the environment (in accordance with Article 57 of REACH)
You can find the latest version of the SVHV list on the ECHA website (external link).
The REACH CLP Biocide Helpdesk (external link) set up by the Federal Institute for Occupational Safety and Health provides information for manufacturers, importers and users of chemical substances and biocidal products. Here you can find answers to questions about the REACH, CLP and Biocide regulations, dealing with everything from the registration, evaluation and authorisation to the classification and labelling of chemical substances and biocides.
Product safety and banned toxic substances at uvex
Particularly in the case of products that come into contact with skin – including personal protective equipment – uvex is subject to stringent criteria, which far exceed EU Directives in terms of product safety and environmental compatibility. All the products we offer are free of harmful substances and harm neither the user nor the environment.