Making eyewear comfortable - How to choose the right option for you
Simply wearing any old pair of safety eyewear isn’t enough to protect your eyes. Undoubtedly it decreases the possibility of an injury, however, if you have poorly fitted eyewear you are putting yourself at a higher risk of injury. It’s all about proper WEARABILITY.
Many companies treat safety eyewear as “one size fits all” and often select product based on information in a catalogue. However, because head and face shapes are so different, it's impossible to find one pair that works for everyone. That’s why finding properly fitting eyewear is so crucial to Wearability, especially when 90% of recorded injuries are due to poorly fitting eyewear or workers not wearing eyewear at all.
Fit testing is critical
Eyewear that fits well helps reduce injuries and increases compliance, whereas poorly fitting eyewear often leads to workers removing it throughout the workday, making them susceptible to eye injuries. uvex WEARABILITY is designed into each and every spec and goggle that uvex manufactures. It focuses on:
These four key factors ensure wearer compliance by allowing employees on with their day without distraction. To find out more about these four key design features click here.
uvex fit programme
uvex has devised a highly successful fit program that reemphasises the personal in PPE. Our program ensures that even your hardest to satisfy employee with find a safety spec or goggle that is best suited for them. Our highly knowledgeable team of experts will work alongside you and your employees to ensure they walk away that with eyewear that will provide a high degree of protection, enhance wearer compliance and save you money.
Interested? Simply fill in our quick form and we will do the rest.
Working with uvex will make your job easier, increase safety, ensure cost savings and there’s no need to change your PPE supplier. We can also find solutions for your prescription wearers too.
How are safety glasses supposed to fit?
Safety eyewear isn’t one size fits all. When trying on new safety eyewear, ask yourself these questions:
- Are the side arms comfortable around your ears?
- Do you feel any pressure on your temples?
- Are the nose pads in contact with your nose? Do they pinch?
- Does the eyewear feel heavy on your face?
Make sure you’re getting the best protection from your PPE
- There should be no uncomfortable pressure points on the side of the head or behind the ears
- The nose piece should be comfortable and contacting your nose without pinching
- You should be able to see in all directions without major obstruction
- The overall weight of your safety eyewear should be evenly distributed between your ears and nose so that the frame sits comfortably on your face without distracting from tasks
- Frames should fit close to the face without hitting your eyelashes - the space around the frames and your face should be less than a pencil width. Gaps of less than or equal to 6-8mm are preferred
- Lenses should cover the eyebrow and any soft tissue around it
- Eyewear should stay in place when you move your head front-to-back and side-to-side
Our range of safety eyewear solutions
Choose the style and type of frame that suits you and the environment you are working in:
The wide range of uvex styles and designs of safety eyewear allows you to find the product that most suits you. We offer a range of lens shades and coatings to suit a variety of workplace environments and light conditions. All uvex lens options will provide maximum UV protection. Choose the style and type of frame that suits you and the environment you are working in.