Anti-fatigue matting also has disadvantages:
- It is costly
- It presents a trip hazard
- Anything too soft can result in the mat wearing out quickly
- If moving heavy equipment, matting can sink making it difficult to manoeuvre across (due to resistance)
- Comfort levels from matting can be subjective
- Mats need to be maintained and cleaned – this includes vacuuming and/or washing with the use of high pressure hoses and requires drainage – an extra expense.
- Requires regular replacement, which can cost as much as £8,000 per quarter
Anti-fatigue matting is usually only positioned around a workstation so as soon as the employee leaves their area they lose the anti-fatigue properties. When you wear uvex footwear, however, you take the anti-fatigue cushioning with you everywhere you walk.